[Samba] File/Directory permissions

Jun Martin junsamboy at digitelone.com
Wed Aug 6 06:34:42 GMT 2003

Hello,

I'd like to ask for help on some Netware to Linux TRANSITION issues.  Under
Novell Netware, AUTHORIZED users can see ONLY the folders/directories they
are allowed to see, whether or not they created them or not.  I'm at a loss
as to how to implement this under Linux+Samba-2.2.8a.

I don't want the (ordinary) users to see all the directories that are under
the /DATA directory.  Yes, with my current setup they CAN'T enter the
directories or view their contents if they're not given permission, but
they shouldn't even see the directory names in the first place so they
won't bother TRYING to ENTER and then end up getting frustrated by the
"ACCESS DENIED" responses.  How do I go about this?

I hope that making individual Samba SHAREs for each allowed folder is NOT
the ONLY solution, because I have too many of those folders to fit the
ENGLISH ALPHABET (driver letters).

Thanks in advance.