[Samba] WINS Question?

Martin Stacey martin at safcol.com.au
Wed Aug 6 07:23:19 GMT 2003

I have setup my Samba server as a WINS server using the wins support = yes
parameter.

My remote network can see the Samba server at our head office fine.

I have also setup the WINS setting on my PC (W2K Pro box) to point to the IP
address of my Samba server.

When I do a nmblookup -R -U <IP address of WINS server> <name of my PC> on
my Samba server I get this reponse;

querying pc1 on 10.1.1.251
wins_srv_died(): Could not mark WINS server 10.1.1.251 down.
Address not found in server list.
name_query failed to find name pc1

However, if I use the same command a query the Samba server I get this
reponse;

querying felix on 10.1.1.251
10.1.1.251 felix<00>

Why isn't my Samba server storing the NetBIOS name of my PC?

BTW, I am using Samba 2.2.7 supply by RH on a RH 7.3 box.

Martin Stacey
IT Support Manager
Safcol Australia Pty Ltd