[Samba] Samba3beta3 + PDC + LDAP + UsrMgr.exe prob

System_Administrator at koppersarch.co.nz System_Administrator at koppersarch.co.nz
Wed Aug 6 01:06:09 GMT 2003

Heya all,

So I've finally got a machine on this Samba 3 domain. Yey. Its an XP Pro
box, so I grabbed the UsrMgr.exe and SrvMgr.exe programs from Microsoft,
and hoped to at least use UsrMgr to see lists of users, maybe even as a
full User manager, since I can't find a decent one that does all the samba3
stuff.

Anyway, I'm on the domain, and I run the UsrMgr.exe program and I get an
error message:
"The stub received bad data"
And the program exits. Interestingly, SrvMgr.exe works fine for viewing
machines (Adding doesn't yet work because I haven't taught samba how to add
user accounts).

So this email is in two parts,

Part one: Has anyone used UsrMgr.exe on an XP Pro box with Samba3 (and
maybe with Samba3 + LDAP + PDC)?

Part two is: ok, how do I fix the problem?

Further information on the problem:
The UsrMgr.exe program actually runs, and displays 3 users: root, sysadmin,
and test. There is another user in the LDAP directory, blah, who doesn't
appear on the list. But as soon as it runs and displays the three users,
the msgbox with "The stub received bad data" comes up, and prompts me to
either exit, or go use another Domain.

After deleting the "blah" user, it still comes up with the same error, so I
don't think it is related to this.

The logs.. well, the logs show lots of stuff, but there are no massive
"THIS LOG ENTRY INDICATES WHAT THE PROBLEM IS SO PASTE THIS IN YOUR EMAIL"
messages, so I can't see anything wrong :)

If anyone would like the log file, I will email you privatly with it,
since... well, I've got a high debugging level on, so the section is rather
large.

Googling hasn't revealed much, only some mentions of a related error
message doing a different thing a few years back.

Thanks,
Nick