[Samba] Samba - printing fails with Canon ir5000i

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Tue Aug 5 16:09:54 GMT 2003

Hi,

I've got an interesting problem with the Samba spoolss support. We've
recently received a new networked printer/copier - a Canon ir5000i. The
machine comes with a CD that provides various drivers, including ones
for NT4, which is our dekstop OS.

I have set this up via TCP/IP printing support on an NT machine, and all
works fine.

When the driver is hosted on a Samba (2.2.8) box, the generated PCL is
corrupt.

My Samba setup goes like this:-

User on NT4 WS -> Samba 2.2.8 server on Debian -> LPRng -> printer.

This works fine for all the printers in the building, except this one.

I can print to the ir5000i from an NT machine with locally installed
drivers and MS TCP/IP printing without any trouble.

If I use the above method, but print to file, take the resulting file,
and then print it from my Linux machine with lpr, it works perfectly.

If I print to the ir5000i using identical printer drivers installed on
the Samba server, I get a line of garbage characters across the top of
the page, and nothing else. Printing to file, and then attempting to
print the file via lpr generates the same result.

Has anyone got any ideas? It's looking to me like a bug in the Samba
spoolss code, but I've no clue where to go from here.

Mike.