[Samba] Re: Duplex printer settings

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Tue Aug 5 10:35:08 GMT 2003

| I have a samba 2.2.6 print server running on Solaris
| 2.7. It has been working wonderfully for a long
| time. Now, I'm setting up the server to
| automatically download the printer drivers to the
| client PC. This also works great, except for the
| duplex option on my duplex printers. The correct
| options appear in  "device settings" (such as "flip
| on long edge"), but do not appear when a user goes
| to advanced properties in the print dialog from
| Microsoft Word (I have not tested MX excel, etc)
| since I don't know how to use them. :-)
|
| I followed the docs, doing the following:

| 1) uploaded the drivers to the server via MS Windows
|    2000 as a "printer admin". This worked great, the
|    drivers were installed in the correct place on
|    the server.
|
| 2) Made my first connection as the same printer
|    admin, setting up the defaults for the printer,
|    including saying the duplex option is installed
|    in device settings.

If you carefully read Kurt Pfeifle's documentation,
the rub might be that there are several settings menus
which look the same and only one of them, the one
which you access through a very particular sequence
of mouse clicks - right-clik on the shared printer,
choose properties, then under the tab "Extras" or
"Options" or "Extended" klick on the button
"Default settings". Settings which you fix in this
menu will be the settings everyone sees as defaults.