[Samba] cannot write to my shares

Tobias Pfeiffer BoteDesSchattens at web.de
Mon Aug 4 21:17:14 GMT 2003

Hi!

Well, I have a Linux machine (RedHat 9.0) with samba on it and a Win ME on
the other machine and I want to share a partition for music, read-only.
(Won't be hard, is mounted read-only) and a transfer share where I can
write to, too. My config file looks as follwing:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)
# Date: 2003/08/04 23:05:42

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = LAN
         netbios name = TOBI
         server string = Tobis Linux-Kiste
         interfaces = eth0
         security = SHARE
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         obey pam restrictions = Yes
         pam password change = Yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
         unix password sync = Yes
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         max log size = 0
         dns proxy = No
         printing = cups

[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         valid users = %S
         read only = No
         create mask = 0664
         directory mask = 0775
         browseable = No

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         printable = Yes
         browseable = No

[musik]
         comment = Tobis Musik
         path = /mnt/music
         guest ok = Yes

[transfer]
         comment = Netzwerk-Transfer
         path = /mnt/windows/Netzwerk-Transfer
         read only = No
         guest ok = Yes

[drucker]
         comment = Tobis DeskJet
         path = /var/spool/samba
         read only = No
         guest ok = Yes
         printable = Yes
         printer name = drucker
         oplocks = No

So, the problem is that I can't write from the Windows PC to this transfer
share; if I want to change a filename I get the message "Access denied;
maybe the files is opened" and if I want to copy a file to it, I get the
message "Access denied. Make sure that the drive is neither full nor
write-protected nor the file is opened." I already rebooted both machines a
few times but always the same result. How can I solve that?

Bye
Tobias