[Samba] Browsing

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Aug 4 14:48:36 GMT 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Howard Miller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> More problems... getting my monies worth :-)
>
> I have two subnets. Basically I cannot get the machines on the subnet that the Samba server is
> *not* on the join the domain. They just sit there for a couple of minutes and then claim that the
> domain server cannot be found.

Are you running WINS on your Samba server? Have all your clients been
configured to use that WINS server?

> Browsing from either subnet only shows machines on that subnet, although if you specify a
> machine on the "other side" you can connect to shared resources (supplying a suitable username
> and password) no problem at all.

If you want cross subnet browsing to work, and if you want your clients to
be able to find a samba server that is on a remote subnet, then WINS is
your friend. It's documented in chapter 10 of the HOWTO.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org