[Samba] Supported version of Samba for commercial use.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 4 10:36:51 GMT 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:17:47PM +0700, Beast wrote:
> Monday, August 4, 2003, 4:42:20 PM, steve wrote:
>
> > Dear Sirs.
>
> > We have csv reports that are created on a unix server automatically via a
> > cron job. We are looking at putting these reports in a shared area / work
> > out a way of sharing a unix device to windows machine like mapping a network
> > drive. The only product we have found that can possibly do this is samba.
>
> What if in the unix box you install samba client and then it map
> \\WINSERVER\SHARE as /mnt/samba.
> >From cron just output all file to /mnt/samba.
> >From client just access this files as  \\WINSERVER\SHARE
> >From admin, just set permission, accesslit etc from WINSERVER only.
> Happy ending (hopefully).

This assumes Linux, or using a product like sharity.  However, then you rely
on the network for the correct operation of the cron job.  Generally, I
would not recommend such a setup - using Samba on the server-side is much
mroe reliable - if only becouse then you only have one server, not the
windows machine serving the files out again.

Samba is highly suited to solving this particular problem.  If you are after
commericial support (and I certainly understand the need for this in many
corperate environments) then you will find a number of consultants
listed in our support directory: http://samba.org/samba/support/

(Unfortunetely the Samba team can only list them, we cannot warrent their
services).

You might also want to consider SerNet www.sernet.de, who put on the
annual SambaXP conference.

Andrew Bartlett