[Samba] File Corruption

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sun Aug 3 20:17:42 GMT 2003

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 09:56:31PM -0400, Scott Sipe wrote:

> Ok, I added the auditing module to my main share.  As a test I
> redownloaded the mozilla installer and put it in it's own directory on
> the samba share.  I took a md5 immediately after downloading it.  I then
> tried installing to several computers directly from the share, copied
> the file to client PC's and then back to the samba server, etc--it
> remained good.  Then I added a cronjob that mailed me the md5 of the
> mozilla installer file every hour, and went home.  The first email
> (mailed like 1 minute before I left work) was the correct md5, 1 hour
> later (I was not doing anything, nor was anyone else for that hour) the
> file is corrupt.  The audit log shows no access to that file from samba.
>
> So I guess the only conclusion is that it's not Samba's fault?

Seems to be so. If we had generic file corruption like this the
peasants with pickforks would have been storming Samba towers
demanding the head of Andrew Tridgell long before now :-).

Try using the Linux "immutable" attribute to see if it really
is a process doing the damaging of the file.

Good luck,

	Jeremy.