[Samba] File Corruption

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Aug 2 19:33:03 GMT 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:27:44PM -0400, Scott Sipe wrote:

> As another example, I had a mozilla installer sitting in a directory on
> the share--no one but me would have touched it.  Last used ~1 month ago.
>       Tried it today and it was corrupt.
>
> I personally have only seen corruption in files of this type (installers
> specifically) and am not sure if any other corruption exists.  I've had
> no complaints whnich is a good thing, and we regularly move a large
> volume of files on and off the share via Netatalk (Quark and graphic
> files) and they don't seem to get corrupt either.  PC usage is generally
> less intensive and limited to word files (I'm the only person that would
> be installing stuff off the samba share)
>
> I should note that I don't believe the harddisks are bad--this server
> has been very stable and never goes down except for power outages.  I've
> noticed no corruption in any system files, or any files stored anywhere
> but on this one share.
>
> I should also add that I have a second smaller share (~2GB) on which our
> accounting software runs--due to our accounting software requirements,
> it has all oplocks turned off, and as far as i know there have been no
> corruption issues.
>
> Does anyone have a clue what the problem might be, or what I can test?
> The problem with this is that it IS a sporadic problem, but it's
> happened to me enough times that I'm sure it's real.

This will need more information to track down I'm afraid. What makes
me very suspicious if the mozilla installer example. Can you try installing
an audit vfs to track who wrote what to a file ? That way you can
track if Samba has accessed the file at all or if it is another process
on the machine.

Jeremy.