[Samba] Winbind with RedHat 9.0, does it work??

Ad Koster a.koster at terneuzen.nl
Fri Aug 1 07:47:32 GMT 2003

Currently we are working on integrating our W2K/Unix environment and are
testing Samba/winbind for this purpose.

Unfortunately there are some problems with winbind, the W2K-clients
cannot access the shares on the Samba-servers.

Part of our /etc/samba/smb.conf looks like:

> winbind separator = +
>         winbind uid = 10000-20000
>         winbind gid = 10000-20000
>         winbind enum users = yes
>         winbind enum groups = yes
>         template homedir = /home/%D/%U
>         template shell = /bin/bash
>         time server = yes

The Samba-servers is configured for security = DOMAIN, and the password
server is a W2K DC.

We also adjusted our /etc/nsswitch.conf

> passwd:     files winbind nis
> shadow:     files winbind nis
> group:      files winbind nis

And finally /etc/pam.d/samba looks like

> auth       required     pam_nologin.so
 > auth       sufficient     pam_winbind.so
> auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
 > account    sufficient   pam_winbind.so
> account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth use_first_pass
> session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth

The results of wbinfo -u, wbinfo -g, gentent passwd, gentent group are
all OK.

Does anyone know what could be wrong here??

Thanks

Ad K.