[Samba] hide files

Marcus Schopen marcus.schopen at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Aug 1 03:35:18 GMT 2003

John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Marcus Schopen wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I read  Volker Lendecke's *great* Samba book, but can't find an answer
>>to the following question:
>>
>>is it possible to hide, but read and write to files in a share? I'm not
>>talking about "hide files", because these files are still viewable on
>>windows (if option is set on client).
>>
>>The "veto files" option seems just to denie the access, so these files
>>are not read and writable anymore.
>>
>>I'm looking for something that is like apache's browseable option for
>>directories. You can't see what's in a directory, but can access via URL
>>_if you know the URL_. Or in other words: I want to share a directory
>>with read and write permissions, but don't want people to see what's in
>>this directory. In best case it should look like an empty directory, but
>>still be able to access (read+write) to file like
>>\\server\share\whatever.txt
>>
>>Is that possible and if yes how?
>

> Yes. Use Unix file system permissions as you should. Read chapter 13 of
> the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf file that can be obtained from:
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/devl/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
>
> Basically, you need to set the directory permissions to write and execute,
> but NOT read. That way the files in the directory will not be listed.

Hmmm, I set directory setting to chmod 773, but then I can't read or
write anymore to files in this dir:

drwxrwx-wx    3 root     root         4096  1. Aug 05:23 .
-rwxrwxr--    1 root     root         3418  1. Aug 03:44 pool.ini
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         3418  1. Aug 03:44 pool2.ini

I connect from windows as a user from group "all other" (-wx). Reading
pool.ini is not possible anymore, as well as writing to pool2.ini.

What's my mistake?

Thank you,
Marcus

--
Marcus Schopen        (0>
P.O. Box 10 25 25     //\     Deutsche Zope User Group