[Samba] NT Account Lock Out Issue

Warner, Jason jason.Warner at AndersenCorp.com
Wed Apr 30 18:10:49 GMT 2003

I have a bunch of users with Win98 boxes and Windows 2k boxes.  The users are using an emulation program called Accuterm to connect to the AIX box with a Samba share.  The Windows 2k boxes seem to be locked out at random.  We have password encryption turned off in the Samba config file.  The event logs on the domain controller never seem to log any account lockout issues except for a Sambatest(servername)

In reading from several digests there is possible issue with this.  I have read that windows 9x boxes need password encryption turned off and that Windows Nt and up need it turned on.  Samba points to our domain controller a 2k Domain controller with SP3.  The users windows 2k boxes have SP1 Sp2 and SP3 on them.  The problem seems to occur more often then the user is attempting to print.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem or know a fix?

The users receive a Mrxsmb error in there Event Log while connected to the AIX box.

AIX 2.21
Samba 5.1
Microsoft Windows 98 and Windows 2k

Jason Warner