[Samba] huge amount of _samr_query_aliasmem errors [repost]

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Apr 30 09:56:48 GMT 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Maarten de Boer wrote:

> Hello, I am reposting this messages, because I did not get any reply,
> and frankly, I am rather desparate... I also found out some additional
> info (at the end)
>
> I get a HUGE amount of the following errors:
>
> In /var/log/samba/log.smbd
>
> [2003/04/28 12:11:55, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_query_aliasmem(2626)
>   _samr_query_aliasmem: Not yet implemented.

This is caused by MS Windows XP asking for protocols that are not
implemented in SAmba-2.2.x. Do not worry about this, the Windows client
and samba agree to fall back to older supported protocols.

You can control the noise in you log file by setting in smb.conf [globals]
the "log level" to control / limit to detail level that is reported.

Other parameters you might want to look at include:
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
in this case each client gets it's own log file.

	max log size = 500
Which limits the log file to max 500Kb, the file will be rotated as soon
as possible after it hits that size limit.

> In /var/log/syslog
>
> Apr 28 12:25:14 iuamtg smbd[23473]: [2003/04/28 12:25:14, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr
> _nt.c:_samr_query_aliasmem(2626)
> Apr 28 12:25:14 iuamtg smbd[23473]:   _samr_query_aliasmem: Not yet implemented.
>
> And when I see huge, I mean huge:
>
> grep smbd /var/log/syslog | grep "Apr 28 11:" | wc -l
>   38398
>
> grep _samr_query_aliasmem /var/log/samba/log.smbd | grep "04/28 11" | wc -l
>   19193

You can disable this by setting in smb.conf [globals]
	syslog = 0

> Obviously this is not only rather unpleasant, but also pretty worrying...

No need to worry. No need to put up with the noise, the above allows you
to trim it all down.

> All these errors come from one user (WindowsXP).
> The server is samba 2.2.8a on a debian woody box.

Yes. Windows XP has enablement of protocols that are not even supported in
MS Windows 2000. This is there in preparation for MS Windows 2003. At
least Samba has made you aware of the new behaviour.

> ADDENDUM: The application that seems to be causing this is LinCVS
> (both 1.1.2 and 1.1.6), though it must be a combination of factors,
> because several other users use WindowsXP and LinCVS as well.

If this is a new application it may be calling for newer MS Windows XP
protocols.

> Please, any suggestions how to solve this problem, track it down,
> or at least avoid the logs to be filled up.

Hope this gives you some satisfaction. Sorry about not attending to your
needs. The Samba-Team are rather busy at the moment trying to get samba-3
ready for release.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra