[Samba] Windoze don't forget username/password (revalidate=yes why not working?)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 30 09:42:04 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 02:23, Éliás Tamás wrote:
> Hy again!
>
> OS: Debian Woody 3.0, kernel 2.4.20-grsecurity
> Samba: 2.2.8a
> status: samba up, and running
> Problem: If I use a usrname/password on client machines, (win98 and winxp/2k)
> I could not log on as an other user to the machine, only if I logout, or reboot
> the client. I1ve read in O'reilly's samba book, that there is an option
> revalidate.

I've never heard of it...

> But testparm says, it is unknown. How can I solve this? I want the
> users to log in every time, once they've closed the explorer's network view. I
> tried many options, like keepalive and deadtime, change notify timeout, etc.
> But no one is working. Samba acts as a master browser, but does not manage
> domain logons (yet).

Win9X will only log in with the username used at the first logon prompt.

WinNT/2k will allow you to use another username, but only one other
username to a remote server at a time.

Nothing Samba can do here - it's up to what the client wants to send.
But having it as master browser might be causing the client to keep the
connection, and therefore blocking on the username.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net