[Samba] Windows 2000 clients copying half a profile?

Dan Gapinski DanGapinski at qsi-r2.com
Wed Apr 30 05:07:02 GMT 2003

I figured it out. Copying the profile a second time gave way to permissions
oddity. I found that if I copied the profile over again, and changed the
allowed user to \Everyone, I could gain access to a profile that exactly
resembles the original, except for 2 things:
1) Microsoft Office Photo Editor doesn't have permission to the registry so
that it can open a simple JPEG. This is M$'s fault, as detailed in their
Q260151 article.
2) passwords in Outlook Express get lost. I don't know why this happens, but
seems easy enough to recreate.

People will probably not have this problem happen much at all, since it has
to do with creating and recreating the same account, and then having to deal
with undocumented profile consequences.

Thanks again for being so helpful tonight. This midnight oil left me a
little wiser this time around, and I feel like I can actually administer
this little beastie now!

My best,
Dan Gapinski