[Samba] Windows 2000 clients copying half a profile?

Dan Gapinski DanGapinski at qsi-r2.com
Wed Apr 30 03:46:09 GMT 2003

Thank you again.

I am having a little weirdness with my Windows 2000 machines logging on now.
I have been migrating my small network (a workgroup) over to a Samba PDC
model. In the process of figuring Samba out, I realized I had made a mistake
in my account creation, where I didn't do proper group creation and
membership. So instead of modifying the accounts, I thought it might be
better to wipe them out and create new ones. Mistake! All the machines
thought I was using a whole new account and wanted to make new local
profiles, and it was an endless pit of misery to have to recreate each
domain profile, and then copy the local profile info over again.

I found that my Windows 2000 clients don't import whole profile - the
profile copy doesn't bring over the Active Desktop, wallpaper, and the
graphics file associations (which I'd rather not recreate again)? Is that a
permission issue? It seemed to work ok on my Windows NT machine. Given that
I recreated the accounts, will that matter, or am I just now noticing a
problem that has been there all along?

Thanks again,
Dan