[Samba] Re: Does 3.0 work with w2k sp3 and/or win 2003? Anyb ody had success?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Apr 30 02:16:22 GMT 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 carlosh at echos.co.nz wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I'd like to know if (and if so by when) Samba will be able to run as an
> Windows 2000 server (Active Directory Server) in itself..?

What specific features of Active Directory are you seeking or do you need?

Please give us an example of what you understand that Active Directory
will do for you.

> Is that scheduled in future plans at all ?

There is OpenLDAP, there are two kerberos implementations (MIT Kerberos
and Heimdal), are you asking if Samba will re-implement all of this
technology? If so, why do you think this is important?

> I read Samba 3 can run as a member server, but I'd like to know if I can
> hold on my migration from NT4 projects, until I can have a Samba only
> network..?

Samba-3 will be able to run as your NT4 Domain Controller. It will be able
to have an LDAP backend. It will co-exist with Kerberos5. There will be
answers for many of the features of Active Directory environments. So,
please help us to understand what it is that you need.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org