[Samba] Samba, Linux, and file locking

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Apr 29 21:11:23 GMT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Many moons ago, Samba used to build perfectly on Linux.  Ever since I
> upgraded from 2.2.3, though, I've had to hack the configure script to
> get it to build, because Samba's configure is utterly and unshakeably
> convinced that no file locking of any kind exists on Linux.  Once so
> configured, it builds, tests and runs perfectly.
>
> Can anyone tell me why Samba started disbelieving in Linux's file
> locking?  Perhaps more to the point, can anyone FIX it?  This is
> starting to become really annoying.

Phil,

Really? How do you expect us to help you?

  You give NO idea as to which Linux platform you are using.

  You have not given us any information (output from configure, not the
  options you are passing to configure) to work from.

Do you want us to guess? Our crystal balls are all worn out. Sorry!

I get a little disappointed when I see flimsy requests like this one.
It wastes everyone's time.

In the samba source tarball is a directory called 'packaging', in it you
will see packaging information for a number of Linux platforms. All of
them build or else the heat on this list would have been unbearable.

What is different about your platform?

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra