[Samba] Samba, Linux, and file locking

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Apr 29 20:45:03 GMT 2003

Many moons ago, Samba used to build perfectly on Linux.  Ever since I
upgraded from 2.2.3, though, I've had to hack the configure script to
get it to build, because Samba's configure is utterly and unshakeably
convinced that no file locking of any kind exists on Linux.  Once so
configured, it builds, tests and runs perfectly.

Can anyone tell me why Samba started disbelieving in Linux's file
locking?  Perhaps more to the point, can anyone FIX it?  This is
starting to become really annoying.