[Samba] Print command not working

Martin Novák novak1 at stavoprojekta.cz
Tue Apr 29 15:23:15 GMT 2003

Hi there,
I have problems with using of "print command", when configuring printers. I
want to log all jobs (so in fact, I don't want to print it, I just want to
save it to database). But it looks to me that this command has no efect. I
will explain it.

For example, I set print command to:
echo Printing %s >> /tmp/print.log; lpr -P %p %s; rm %s
 (in globals and printer settings)
The job is printed, but not loged in /tmp/print.log (file has permission to
read,write for all)

When I set print command just to
cp %s /tmp/testprint.log
Then the file is again only printed and not logged (there is _no_  lpr
command now)

I have tried to configure new printer with no linux printer defined. But the
job allways hang on Win machine then (I think thats because lpr fails - but
again I have switched lpr command to cp %s /tmp/testprint.log and nothing
happend).

Can you send me some ideas how to solve this, please.

Martin Novak

PS:
SERVER SOFTWARE:
RedHat 7.3, Samba 2.2.8 (I had 2.2.7 before and this problem force me to
upgrade), printing via lprng

printing from Windows 2000