[Samba] telnet

Jeffrey Wang jnwang at optonline.net
Sat Apr 26 16:53:07 GMT 2003

Hi,

I could not even telnet from other machined (XP and Solaris 8) to my Red
Hat 7.1 server.
I always got

Connecting to 192.168.0.101.Could not open connection to the host, on
port 23:Connect Failed.

First I though that maybe because there was a firewall on the Red Hat
server.  So I rebuilt it choosing "no firewall" option.
The same problem occurred.

The /etc/xinetd.d/telnet file is the same:

Service telnet
{
            flags                 = REUSE
            socket_type      = stream
            wait                  = no
            user                  = root
            server                =/usr/sbin/in.telnetd
            log_on_failure    += USERID
            disable              = yes
}

There is no difference on the file for both installations (one with
medium security firewall, one without firewall at all).

Please help.

Jeffrey