[Samba] Win XP 'Network path was not found' Error when connecting to Samba share

Jeff Tapia jefftapia at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 17:21:09 GMT 2003

I had an issue where my Windows Network Neighborhood could see (browse) files
and printers connected to linux (redhat 8 and 9) systems, but could not connect
or print. I could connect from linux to windows but not from windows to linux.

I solved this by disabling iptables

If you are having this problem, see if the following fixes the problem:
# service iptables stop

If so, you probably have [perhaps accidentally] unknowingly created a firewall
by installing with some form of security enabled.

You may want to disable the linux firewall by disabling the iptables service.

This corrected my sharing problems (which I spent DAYS troubleshooting on and
off).

For whatever reason the default /etc/samba/smb.conf did not work for me and
from various reading, I  changed my [printers] section to the following, which
got me up and running (printing from Windows to linux printer):
[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
	public = yes

# jht added the following 7 lines from various reading
	guest ok = yes
	writeable = yes
	read only = no
	printable = yes
	print command = lpr /var/spool/samba/ -o raw %s;rm %s -r
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq    -P%p %s
	lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm   -P%p %j

also ADDED the following to [global]
# jht from redhat.com to correct issue when windows admin is user, add to
[GLOBAL]
	use client driver = yes

Good luck,
jtmoderate876