[Samba] SAMBA as a member of Active Directory Domain
eric.huaume at cgey.com
Thu Apr 24 13:22:44 GMT 2003
The network configuration will be as follows :
- clients PC are Windows 2000 or Windows 98,
- domain controler is Active Directory of Windows 2000
- SAMBA server is used for file sharing and printings
I read it is possible to create user accounts only into an Active Directory PDC so as to be taken into account by a SAMBA server (using SAMBA 2.2.2 and winbind).
The questions are then as follows :
1) does this mechanism offers SSO functionnality or users have to be authentified twice :
- first time at login (network authentication through the PDC)
- then when having first access to the SAMBA server ?
2) if it is not SSO, is SSO possible ?
3) how to initially configure sharing resources to users and groups if the users and groups do not initially exist on the Linux system ?
4) what about users rights ?
- does Active Directory manages accounts with all its Windows possible privileges and restrictions ?
- what is the resulting ACL (Windows ACL or only the Linux ones "rwx") ?
- ACL is managed by Windows or Linux ?
Looking forward to hearing from you,
More information about the samba