[Samba] Samba 2.2.7 as a PDC on FreeBSD 4.8 and a Windows 2K Pro client

Sean O'Neill sean at seanoneill.info
Thu Apr 24 02:24:53 GMT 2003

I found what looks like a pretty good HOWTO type document at IBM on setting
up Samba as a PDC.  Samba is up and running using this config.

The client Win2K Pro machine was in an office environment - but not sure if
it was a NT 4.0 domain env or AD env.  So I'm trying to put it into the
Samba PDC domain which I've got called NONROUTABLE.  I've followed the
directions for setting up the machine trust accounts in FreeBSD, adding a
"root" login into Samba for the first time login "secret" stuff, etc.

My problem is before the client even talks to Samba.  On the client, I do this:

- Login as LOCAL administrator
- Right click "My Computer" -> Properties
- Goto "Network Identification" tab -> Properties button
- I leave the "Computer name" field as is (which is "gamer")
- Click the Domain radio button and input NONROUTABLE as the domain name
- Then I click OK

(I've also tried using the "Network ID" button and added login info but I
get the same error below in the end.)

I immediately get an error popup saying:

The following error occurred validating the name "NONROUTABLE".
This condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem ....<SNIP>
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contracted.

Well, this is apparently true.  Ethereal is showing me that client is
asking my Solaris DNS server for a SRV record for
"_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.NONROUTABLE" which it obviously doesn't have any idea
what that is.  This is the ONLY traffic I seeing coming from the client
onto the network.  This is why I say Samba isn't, currently, my problem.

A buddy of mine found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314108

I tried this but I'm still getting the same error.  This email is long
enough already - I can show where my client's output to "nbtstat -c" is
/slightly/ different then what Microsoft shows in this InfoDoc.  So I won't
go down this path unless someone says this is the right direction to go
down - but I seems VERY much related.

Any thoughts on how to get this client to get around the DNS SRV to talk
"nice" to the Samba server would be greatly appreciated.  The above InfoDoc
feels/smells/looks like it might be related.

--
Sean O'Neill
972-661-2232