[Samba] Cross Subnet Browsing.

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Apr 23 22:26:42 GMT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Scott Swaim wrote:

> I will be more than happy to share my experience.  I believe I have found a
> solution to my problem.  I am able to connect to the machines inside the
> domain if I supply a IP address for it.  I "thought" that this was what the
> wins server was supposed to do.  If I put the ip/machine name in a lmhost
> file I am able to connect to the shares.

But did you read the chapter on this document ment I referred you to. I
suspect you will find a better answer there. If it does not answer your
needs then I must update the document.

> I only have 1 wins server with all of the machine in all of the domains
> pointing to it.

That should work Ok.

> Sorry to ramble.
>
> as there are around 50 machines in this configureation I do not want to
> create a lmhost file and put it on all of the machines.  I guess the only
> other solution is to go with DNS.   I gues I was just under the impression
> that the wins server was suppose to handle the name to ip resolution.

Read chapter 9. If you still belive what you say above then chapter 9
needs yet more cleaning up. Your feedback is important, but I am depending
on you to read the chapter first.

- John T.