[Samba] Help with printing

Michael mmcgillick at attbi.com
Wed Apr 23 04:21:34 GMT 2003

Good Evening:

I have three machines in a small home network. One of the machines runs Red
hat Linux 9 with Samba 2.2.7a. Attached to the Linux box is an HP LaserJet
5p printer. I've successfully configured the printer through the Cups
utility, and can print from the Linux box. The other two machines in my home
network run Windows XP Professional. I'm trying to configure both of the
machines to use the Laser printer attached to the Linux box. If I go to My
Network Places, I can see the Samba server, and subsequently drill down to
see the printer. It appears that I can also add a new printer through the
Add Printer wizard, and it gets added to each machine. In fact, when I
select the printer for documents and such, they properly print. What's
strange, though, is that if I open my Printers and Faxes window and look at
the installed printers, under the status column, I get Ready for each of my
local printers, but I get the text "Access denied, unable to connect" for
the printer on the LaserJet box. Again, I have successfully printed several
documents from the Windows XP boxes to the laser printer hooked up to the
Linux box, but the status message has me concerned that something isn't
configured properly. Is this a bug in Samba, or have I configured something
wrong?

If it helps, I've attached my smb.conf. Thanks.

- Michael