[Samba] Re: cifs samba mailing list

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 22 21:59:56 GMT 2003

The mount helper (mount.cifs) now calls into the kernel mount routine with
the ip address for the hostname specified (in your case the server "raid")
which uses a parm ("ip=") that older versions of the cifs vfs kernel code
will not recognize.  This new mount parameter requires a newer version of
the cifs vfs kernel code which is available via samba cvs for 2.4 (the
download instructions for samba cvs extract of the cifs vfs are on the
project page) and for the 2.5 version which is available at
http://cifs.bkbits.net/linux-2.5cifs and also in the public 2.5 kernel.org
kernel (your note reminded me that I should post a newer tar.gz of the 2.4
source code to the Linux_CIFS_client project page to bring it up to the
current 0.7.2 version of the cifs vfs).  I had held off for a few weeks in
posting an updated version more visibly while fixing an obscure bug in the
file truncate code that showed up on some kernels running fsx stress test
(this fix will be in 0.7.4 version of the cifs vfs).  A few weeks ago to
support the new mount helper I also added versioning support to the mount
helper and cifs vfs kernel code, so it will be easier to handle/recognize
version mismatches.

>followed the instructions given at
>http://de.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html, i.e. compiling
>cifs-0.6.8 and mount.cifs rev. 1.2.2.1. I successfully loaded the cifs.o
>as a module and  following the given examples I tried:
>
>[root at r151-101 cifs]# /sbin/mount.cifs //raid/demo /stud/demo -o
>user=demo,password=XXX
>mount error 22 = Invalid argumentRefer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page
>(e.g.man mount.cifs)
>
>This yields the following /var/log/messages block:
>
>Apr 22 21:19:44 r151-101 kernel: CIFS: Unknown mount option ip
>Apr 22 21:19:44 r151-101 kernel:  CIFS VFS: Error connecting to IPv4
>socket. Aborting operation
>
>What does Unknown mount option ip mean here?

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294