[Samba] How to give one user write permissions to HOME shares

Jerome Walter walter+samba at efrei.fr
Mon Apr 21 18:01:50 GMT 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 05:50:21PM +0000, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Jerome Walter wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 10:15:05AM -0400, Dan Didier wrote:
> > > mmurrock can browse, but he can't write.  Is there an easy way to add write
> > > access for the mmurrock user?
> > >
> > > here is my homes share:
> > >
> > > [homes]
> > >    comment = Home Directories
> > >    browseable = no
> > >    writable = yes
> > >    valid users = %S, mmurrock
> > >    create mode = 0664
> > >    directory mode = 0775
> >
> > What are the physical rights of your mmurrock user (i mean, unix one) ?
> > To get this working, i have a samba with acl enabled (on an XFS filesystem).
> > Are ACLs enabled on your system ?
>
> Why do you ask this? Do you believe that Posix ACLs is the only or best
> way to do this? If so, what benefits do you believe that ACLs confer?

I agree with you, unix rights are the first thing to look for. I was assuming
a second level, in which Dan would want to give mmurock specific rights
without creating the groups that goes underneath. Perhaps i was looking to
far. I got used to environment in which we could not even consider creating a
group for each share.

Sorry for applying rules for a more specific implementation in this case.

Jerome

--
-+--   Jérôme Walter - 	I2 EFREI		          ----+-
 Equipe Système - Efrei Robotique - Jap'Efrei - Erasmus Tutors