[Samba] Re: An OK too much when starting smb service

Marco De Vitis starless at supereva.it
Mon Apr 21 00:19:33 GMT 2003

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 20:05:33 +0200 (SAST), Buchan Milne wrote:

> Where did you get your samba-2.2.8a? I am sure we fixed this in
> 2.2.7a-6mdk, and it should be in 2.2.8a-2mdk on the Samba FTP mirrors.

Ouch, sorry, that was my fault. Actually, I noted down this "problem"
when using a previous Samba version (2.2.7, I think), and didn't check
it again after upgrading to 2.2.8a, which happened more or less
simultaneously with my post here. I really didn't expect you were taking
care of such small details. :)

So, from a quick test I just did at home (can't access the office now),
I can confirm that the 3rd "OK" is now gone, as you are telling.

Sorry for not having been correct in reporting, but this was not meant
to be as a real bug report, as I mentioned, and I took it a bit too
lightly. ;)

> You should not be restarting samba that often. A reload is sufficient for
> most configurations to take effect, and a restart can lead to data loss on
> open files (AFAIK). The only time we restart samba on our production

Sure, I did it only when doing some maintenance operations, while no
clients were connected (or at home when playing around).

Thanks.

--
Ciao,
  Marco.