[Samba] driver download problem - win 98 + cups

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Apr 17 15:38:10 GMT 2003

David Morel wrote:

>>>Might be that bug in cupsaddsmb.
>>>
>>>http://bugs.samba.org/cgi-bin/samba-bugs/incoming?id=25090;expression=cup
>>>saddsmb;user=guest
>>
>>Thanks for the hint... But wouldn't *that* bug (which is fixed in recent
>>versions of cupsaddsmb) lead to a message at the end of cupsaddsmb, saying
>>"status UNSUCCESSFUL"?
>
> nope. otherwise i wouldn't have spent 2 hours finding out ! ;-)
>
>>My understanding was that cupsaddsmb completed successfully but that
>>the actual driver download to Win9x clients didn't complete thereafter...
>
> thats exactly what was happening. no cupsaddsmb message, but incomplete
> download of drivers on 95/98

But you can tell *that* bug from the (wrong) line

    Running command: rpcclient localhost -N -U'admin%secret' -c 'adddriver "Windows 4.0" \
                   "K100_HP4050:ADOBEPS4.DRV:K100_HP4050.PPD:NULL:ADOBEPS4.HLP:PSMON.DLL:\
                   RAW:\
                   K100_HP4050.PPD,ADOBEPS4.HLP,PSMON.DLL,ADFONTS.MFM,DEFPRTR2.PPD,ICONLIB.DLL"'

instead of the (correct) one:

    Running command: rpcclient localhost -N -U'admin%secret' -c 'adddriver "Windows 4.0" \
                   "K100_HP4050:ADOBEPS4.DRV:K100_HP4050.PPD:NULL:ADOBEPS4.HLP:PSMON.DLL:\
                   RAW:ADOBEPS4.DRV,\
                   K100_HP4050.PPD,ADOBEPS4.HLP,PSMON.DLL,ADFONTS.MFM,DEFPRTR2.PPD,ICONLIB.DLL"'

However, Jeff's quote of his cupsaddsmb output shows the correct line....

> david

However, your hint to that bug is very much appreciated. I remember that one, but can't
remember which version of CUPS was biten by it. Do you have a version no. (to put it in
the Samba printing documentation)?

Cheers & Thanks,
Kurt