[Samba] Big problem with file permission !!

Peer-Joachim Koch pkoch at bgc-jena.mpg.de
Wed Apr 16 08:55:04 GMT 2003

Hi,

we are running samba 2.2.5 (HP 1.0.9) on our HPUX file server. Well it is
running without any problems, but now
a user pointed out which looks like a big problem for me:

We have setup a lot of shares for projects. As an example
one share looks like this

[AG_Technik]
        comment = Datenbereich der Technik
        path = /mnt/Local/Groups/AG_Technik
        valid users = @AG_Technik, at AG_DV
        force group = AG_Technik
        writeable = Yes
        create mask = 0640
        directory mask = 0774

We want all users to have access to all files (default)
and also allow to write into new created subfolders.
So I can created a file "Test.txt" and write something in.
Other people (from the groups) can open it, but not
modifiy it (only "save as" will work). Seem's to be ok.

bash-2.03# ls -l AG_Technik/Peer.txt
-rw-r-----   1 pkoch      AG_Techn        16 Apr 16 10:23
/mnt/Local/Groups/AG_Technik/Peer.txt
^^^^^^^^^^

BUT the other users can delete the files !! Even files with
600 permission can be deleted!

What is wrong ?

----------------head of the smb.conf-----------------------
[global]
        workgroup = something
        interfaces = lan1
        log file = /var/adm/samba/%m.log
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        local master = no
        read only = no
        case sensitive = no
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes
        dos filetime resolution = yes
        log level = 1
        syslog = 3
        oplock break wait time = 100
        read size = 65535
        encrypt passwords = yes
        password server = manta, andorra
        security = domain
        printing = cups
Mainfolder in this case has 775 permission and belongs
to AG_Technik.

!! Please send answers also as cc to me !!
(I want to fix it asap)

Bye,
    Peer