[Samba] samba pdc premissions problem

Brian Wiese bwiese at hms4emc.com
Wed Apr 16 01:50:51 GMT 2003

I was working with a very similiar situation recently, and basically you
just have to come to grips with the differences between Microsoft user/group
permissions and those in Unix.  (i.e. there is no append permission, such as
write access but no delete access in Unix).

I came up with a couple of tricks, its hard to remember them all now, but
the commands you have to work with are:  umask, chmod, chgrp and suid/sgid
(chattr,lsattr are not really needed).

So, first off I did the same as you with your file permissions, with the
directory structure owned by root and the group is the main department/group
needing access to those files.  Now, in Unix whenever a user creates a file,
the created file inherits the inverse permissions of the system "umask"
setting.  I have my system umask value sent to "0022" so that Group and
Other fields do not get write access to newly created files (4=r 2=w 1=x),
so I'm restricting the 2 (write) permissions.

But don't members of the group need write access to those files as well? -
you may ask.  Yes, thats where set group id (sgid) comes into play.  All
directories with the sgid bit "2---" set (easiest way: chmod g+s filename)
say that all files created within that directory inherit the directory's
permissions.  So, the directories permissions could likely be 2760 for
rwxrws--- where the s in that location means setgroupid.  I sometimes get a
capital S in that location, I have no clue what that means!

Also, you don't want users to delete the directories so you can apply the
sticky bits "1---" to these (chmod +t filename).  Also you could create a
file with rwx------ permissions in the directory owned by root, so group
users would not have power to delete the directory as they cannot delete all
of the files within it.  Theres something else to be said for inheriting
permissions of the parent folder, if the parent folder (share directory
name) does not have write permissions, I think then too one cannot delete
the directory residing in it.

I wish there was a way to change individual users umask values, have an
append permission bit, and other things - but thats just the way unix is.
The "force create mode" options in samba may be of help to shares as well.

So, it's not a perfect match to windows permissions, but its mostly doable.
=)  good luck.

-- per your permission below, I dont see why root needs 000 permissions?

let me know if you have any other questions,
peace

Brian