[Samba] Re: net use H: /home does not work

Shawn Wright swright at sls.bc.ca
Tue Apr 15 22:59:30 GMT 2003

On 15 Apr 2003 at 15:44, cisco wrote:

> I don't have a home defined for each user. Samba allows you to create a
> HOMES share that is generic for all users on the system and supposedly
> if you have in your logon script 'net use H: /home' and you have the
> global parameter 'logon drive = H' it's all supposed work magically and
> each user will see their home directory mapped using their logon id.

It does work; we are using it here with NT and Win2K clients. If they are
set as visible, then you should be able to browse the dynamically created
shares per user. ie: as user "xyz" you should see a share name "xyz"
listed under your server.

Here is the homes section from one of our 2.2.8 boxes that works fine
with net use /home:

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no