[Samba] conf-File-Problem or Bug???

Butcho butcho at gfx-maniac.de
Mon Apr 14 16:36:03 GMT 2003

Hi there,

first of all i want to thank the Samba-Developers around the world for creating such a great peace of software. Keep up the good work.... :-)

My english is not the best english around....but i will try it anyway because i find out an interesting thing in Samba 2.2.8a. I don´t know exactly if i configured something wrong in the Samba conf-file or if it´s maybe a bug.

So here´s a short description what happend on our Server:

I configured Samba as a Primary Domain Controller so that our Windows 98-Clients can logon on the Samba-Server and retrieve a list of users and groups from the PDC. Everything works fine until last friday. I decided to update our server with the newest version (2.2.8a) ....i downloaded the file and went through the usual installation procedure (business as usual :-) ). After finishing the installation and successfully testing it i decided to change the "server string"-setting in the [global]-settings.

...and that´s the point: i changed the server string setting from "Samba %v @ %h" to this ---> "Samba 2.2.8a kicks ass on SuSe 8.1 Prof. :-)" and after that the Windows-clients where unable to retrieve the user- and groups-list from the Samba-PDC anymore. I always get an error message like this: "userlist is curently not available, please try again later" (that´s not the exact translation because it´s the german version of Win98 but this is what Windows tries to tell me). If i change the server string-setting again to "Samba %v @ %h" everything works fine.

Mmmmh....is this a little bug i´ve discovered???

I´ve included my conf-file in this email so you can take a look.

Best regards from germany,

Christian B.