[Samba] Interminttant trouble with DFS shares on XP clients and 2.2.8a

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 11:13:10 GMT 2003

Hi all,

	Having just upgraded our IRIX 6.5 servers from 2.2.5 to 2.2.8a,
we're now having trouble with the DFS shares that it serves to our site.

Browsing (from 'Start|Run' \\servername) shows the folders we've set
up. Double clicking on these allows us to go into them and see the DFS
pointers.

Double clicking on these produces:-

	\\net\user\homes refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on
        this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or
        that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still
        cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

So at the point where it should be redirecting the client to another
server, something is going wrong, but we don't know what.

However it's not consistent.  On some occasions (and we've not got it to
be repeatable yet) the share opens up fine. (i.e. the DFS redirection
works)

We're currently trying to set up an isolated 2.2.5 server to see if it
still works OKay on there.  The clients are XP SP1. (we've tried 3 so far)

These shares still work perfectly from Windows 98 (and similar) clients

Does anyone recognise these symptoms?  Any ideas?

I'll post more (including a resolution) as and when I get it.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641565          Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)