[Samba] Windows XP Support

Paul Eggleton paule at cjntech.co.nz
Mon Apr 14 02:05:35 GMT 2003

Bradley W. Langhorst wrote on Monday, 14 April 2003 1:27 p.m.:
> On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 20:44, Jamal wrote:
>> Is there any support for having a UNIX share accessible from a
>> Windows XP machine?  If so, what else must I tweak?
>>
>> Any help would be apreciated.
>>
>> Thank
> you must use smbmount or smbclient
> (depending on how you want to use the XP share.
>
> There may be an NFS server for XP -dunno

I could be wrong, but I think he was after mounting a share exported
from the UNIX box rather than the XP box. What you would use depends on
whether the exported share is NFS or SMB using Samba.

If you are using NFS, I believe there are NFS clients for Windows, but
you would make it much easier by using Samba for this purpose. Install
Samba and use the web-based SWAT interface (or edit /etc/smb.conf) to
set it up with a new share. There is a lot of documentation on how to do
this.

Cheers,
Paul Eggleton