[Samba] nmbd woes (still)

James list_mail at softhome.net
Sun Apr 13 18:07:13 GMT 2003

Ok I've fed this problem with about five hours of my time to post to a list
about it.  nmbd does not appear to be
doing what it should.  Why I'm not certain.  The unix host (running samba)
is not appearing in on the windows
browse list (i.e. it's not showing up in the network neighbourhood).

when I run nmbd with -d2 I get the following:

Netbios nameserver version 2.2.8 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1994-2002
standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option
added interface ip=10.0.0.3 bcast=10.0.0.207 nmask=255.255.255.48
making subnet name:10.0.0.3 Broadcast address:10.0.0.207 Subnet
mask:255.255.255.48
making subnet name:UNICAST_SUBNET Broadcast address:0.0.0.0 Subnet
mask:0.0.0.0
making subnet name:REMOTE_BROADCAST_SUBNET Broadcast address:0.0.0.0 Subnet
mask:0.0.0.0
find_response_record: response packet id 8430 received with no matching
record.
find_response_record: response packet id 8431 received with no matching
record.

The only details pertaining to the "find_response_record: response packet id
8430 received with no matching record." message in the output that I could
find in the mailing lists or by googling was to do with malformed localhost
entries in /etc/hosts and incorrectly configured loopback interface.  I have
confirmed that my /etc/hosts correctly specifies 127.0.0.1 localhost and my
lo0 (loopback if) is correction configured.  Also, just incase you were
wondering yes that is a correct subnet mask.

My smb.conf looks like this, very minimally configured.

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        netbios name = dough
        encrypt passwords = yes
        remote announce = 10.0.0.7/WORKGROUP
        hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.48

[homes]
        guest ok = no
        read only = no

[tmp]
        comment = temporary files
        path = /tmp
        read only = yes

If someone can tell me why nmbd isn't serving up names as it should be
please let me know.  I've hacked away at it all day and can't figure it out
:).  If a higher level of debugging output is required let me know I'l
provide it.