[Samba] Problem with a samba print server

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat Apr 12 12:28:32 GMT 2003

Guy Roussin guy.roussin at teledetection.fr wrote on Samba-Digest:

> Sat Apr 12 09:00:47 GMT 2003

> Hello,
>
> I created a print server SERVIMP(*) with samba 2.2.8,
> i put all the printers at it.  I installed the
> drivers one by one (win98 and win2k) using the
> APW of win2000.
> The drivers seems to be correctly settled.
>
> Then on SERVIMP I execute with rpcclient the assignment
> of the printers to the drivers with $> setdriver printer "driver"
> i get success with this.
>
> I can then install the printers on the win2k client
> **BUT** I notice that it is not possible for me to
> configure the printer...

Guy,

I am not sure if I understand what your problem is. However, I'll
quote here from a recent posting of mine to the CUPS mailing list
(which reportedly solved a similar problem there):

# >>>>> But I don't want to reconfigure everythin everytime I want to to
# >>>>> print to this cool pdf printer...
# >>
# >>> You don't need to re-configure. Set it once and for all by saving the
# >>> settings, as a print administrator with the proper access (writing)
# >>> rights to Samba's [print$] share.... (Which kind of Windows client is
# >>> it you are using?)
# >
# > I'm using Windows 2k and samba 2.2.18 with cups 1.1.18. But even if I
# > save the settings as administrator the other users are not affected by
# > this new settings...
#
# How are you doing it? I bet the wrong way.... (It is not very easy to
# find out, though). There are 3 different ways to bring you to a dialog
# that *seems* to set everything. All three dialogs *look* the same. Only
# one of them does what you intend.
#
# Here is how I do in on XP (my interface is German -- my re-translation
# into English might not be accurate):
#
#
# A. the first "wrong" way:
# -------------------------
# 1. Open the "Printers" folder.
# 2  Right-click on the printer ("remoteprinter on cupshost") and select in
#      context menu "Print Settings..."
# 3. Look at this dialog closely and remember how it looks like.
#
#
# B. the second, another "wrong" way:
# -----------------------------------
# 1. Open the "Printers" folder.
# 2  Right-click on the printer ("remoteprinter on cupshost") and select in
#      context menu "Properties"
# 3. Click on the "General" tab
# 4. Click on the button "Print Settings..."
# 5. A new dialog opens. Keep this dialog open and go back to the parent dialog.
#
#
# C. the third, the "correct" way:
# --------------------------------
#      (Should you do it from the beginning, just do steps 1. + 2. from
#      above "B.")
# 3. Click on the "Advanced" tab.
# 4. Click on the "Standard Settings..." (maybe "Default Settings..."?)   (*)
#      button.
# 5  On any of the two new tabs, click on the "Advanced..." (maybe
#      "More..."?) button.                                                (*)
# 6  A new dialog opens. Compare this one to the other, identical looking
#      one from "B.5" or A.3". Do you see any difference? I don't either...
#      However, only the last one, which you arrived at with steps "C.1.-6."
#      will safe any settings to become permanent and be the new defaults.
#
#
# If you want the clients to get the same defaults, you need to conduct
# these steps *as Administrator" (printer admin in smb.conf) *before* a
# client downloads the driver.
#
#
# Cheers,
# Kurt
#
# (*) Could someone with an English version of Win2K/XP please verify
#       my translations and post corrections? Thanks.
#

Cheers,
Kurt