[Samba] Can't Find Password

Samba Newsgroups john.peak at mckesson.com
Fri Apr 11 18:00:49 GMT 2003

I am running Samba 3.0 HEAD with LDAP 2.0.  I have ldapsam enabled buy when
I try to log into my server from a W2K machine I get the following in my
error log:

   sam_password_ok: NO NT password stored for user root.

The log file shows that Samba successfully retrieved the root posixAccount
record and the log displays some of the data (i.e. home directory) that is
stored for root in LDAP.  The only problem is Samba acts like it cannot find
the password anywhere.   I have reset the password a number of times and can
see that there is something stored in LDAP when I perform an ldapsearch.  I
have also checked to make sure LDAP allows read access to the password
fields.  The following is in my slapd.conf:

access to attr=userpassword
    by self write
    by * read

access to *
    by self write
    by dn=".+" read
    by * read

Does anyone have any ideas why Samba cannot read the password?  Thanks in
advance!

---------My smb.conf---------------

[global]
        workgroup = ELUCIDATION
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = ldapsam unixsam guest
        non unix account range = 10000-19999
        passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spas
sword:* %n\n .
        log level = 10
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m