[Samba] Group mapping problem - please help

Damir Dezeljin programing at mbss.org
Thu Apr 10 07:13:08 GMT 2003

Hi.

I'm using Samba 2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix (RH-9.0) as member of WinNT4
domain. I joined samba to the domain. I configured the winbind daemon and
nsswitch switch to map NT users to unix users.

Then I set ACL support on an ext3 partition and share the mount point of
this partition with ACL Samba support:
- my share is [test_share]
- the directory is /mnt/test_dir

Shortly:
----
[test_share]
  path = /mnt/test_dir
  writeable = yes
  browsable = yes
  hide unreadable = yes
  nt acl support = yes
  inherit acls = yes
  inherit permissions = yes
  valid users = @my_group
  invalid users = root

# ls -ald /mnt/test_dir
drwxrws--- 3 root my_group  4096 Apr 10 00:00 /mnt/test_dir
----

I set up the my_group in /etc/group as folows:
----
my_group:x:5000:PDC\user01,PDC\user02,PDC\user03
----

Then I tried to connect to this share as PDC\user01, but I got an error (I
got an dialog box asking for my password). Then I tried to 'su' into this
user (# su - PDC\\user01) in the Linux terminal and try to access this
directory - this works without any problem.

So I enable Samba debugging and set 'log level = 4'. When I checked the
log files, I noticed that samba resolve the user PDC\user01 only to be
member of 'Domain Users' group and didn't see that it is also part of
'my_group'.

Any hint how to solve this problem?

Regards,
Dezo