[Samba] Lingering IPC$ connections

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Apr 9 22:38:19 GMT 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Alfredo Ramos wrote:

> Yes of course, they are. One user logs off, and another one logs in. That
> is normal. What is not normal is the mixing of loggins and pids.

This is expected behaviour. It is the MS Windows client machine that does
NOT close the connection to the IPC$ share.

> Very strange!

Not at all. The IPC$ share can be connected to as either the current user
or anonymously (null user). This connection is used to obtain information
about the SMB server, like shares, access ability, etc.

- John T.