[Samba] System Policy with Windows 2000 Profesional

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Apr 9 16:14:12 GMT 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, admir wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering How to aply System policy with win2000.

There are three ways:

1. Manually edit the policies on each machine using the Control Panel ->
Administrative Tools -> Local Security Settings -> Local Policies

2. Create Group Policy Objects in Active Directory, these get applied as
part of the logon process as the client logs onto a domain

3. Ust NT4 System Policy Editor to create an NTConfig.POL file and place
it in your Samba DC NETLOGON share.

> Pls. Be specific en don't send met to read HOWTO on samba.org cos I have
> done that and all I found was some staf foe winNT.

Did you check the new HOWTO in the Samba HEAD branch or the old one that
is in the Samba-2.2.x branch?

The old one is 88 pages the new one is 192 pages. There is a big
difference between them. If you have read the NEW Samba-HOWTO-Collection
and found that not sufficient, then your best choice is to buy the MS
Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit.

1. MS Windows 200x/XP clients still allow you to use NTConfig.POL files on
your domain controllers (in the NETLOGON share) - that is the simplest way
to implement policies from a Samba DC right now.

2. The preferred Microsoft way of implementing policies with Windows 2000
and all later products is through Active Directory.

3. The tool you use is the Microsoft Management Console (MMC). To set up
policies you need to create Group Policy Objects (GPOs). These are mostly
stored in Active Directory.

> Any kind of info would be goud.

If the new Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf in the Samba HEAD branch is not
sufficient, please email me direct with what you believe you need. I will
try to add more information to it. Of course I would be MUCH happier if
you were to send me a contributed update based on your experience. That
way you get to be part of the process of making open source software more
useful.

- John T.
(Jan de man die alles kan)
--