[Samba] unable to make NIS synchronization function

Paul Trepanier pgt at jax.org
Tue Apr 8 17:14:22 GMT 2003

I am unable to make NIS synchronization function on my instance (2.2.8
on Solaris 8).  My [global] section follows...

The biggest issue is that passwd chat debug outputs nothing to the logs
making it quite difficult to troubleshoot.

Docs are not clear enough to explain if you can have passwd chat AND
passwd program present in the global section at the same time (and have
it work).  Passwd program by itself does not work.

My samba instance is NOT on my NIS master host (I am trying to run
passwd synchronization on an NIS client).

[global]
         workgroup = MYGROUP
         netbios name = MYHOST
         server string = Samba Test Instance
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         min passwd length = 6
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = passwd chat = "*Enter login(NIS)
password*"%o\n"*New password*" %n\n "*Re-enter new password*" %n\n
"*Password changed*"
         passwd chat debug = Yes
         unix password sync = Yes
         log level = 3