[Samba] NIS Authentication Help!

Matt Schillinger mschilli at vss.fsi.com
Tue Apr 8 13:39:39 GMT 2003

Yes. If your samba server is not a PDC, it can work quite easily.. The
samba server needs to be made an NIS client, and

'encrypt passwords = no' must be chosen.. then, samba will look to local
authentication methods, which, if the machine uses NIS, samba will use
NIS. We have a similar setup where I work.

On the downside, you will have to enter a registry edit on each windows
box. (it's a very simple procedure). The edit allows the windows
machines (i'm assuming XP) to auth off of plaintext passwords.  In the
case of XP/NT/2000, once you add the edit, it enables the machine to
authenticate using BOTH encrypted, and Unencrypted authentication.. (at
least this was my observation on Windows NT 4.0 -- someone please
correct me if I am wrong)

Obviously, plaintext password issues exist, but you're already using
NIS.

The registry hack is: (in Windows XP)

open regedt32

Under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters\

Modify the Dword 'enableplaintextpassword'.

Change value to '1' hexadecimal.

Matt Schillinger
mschilli at vss.fsi.com