[Samba] Samba printing options

Damir Dezeljin programing at mbss.org
Tue Apr 8 10:14:12 GMT 2003

Hi.

> * What's the OS/version Samba is running on?
I used samba that ships with RH-9.0 (Samba 2.2.7a) - I didn't recompile
it, nor I have sources so I can't tell you what are the compilation
parameters. I guess that Samba is compiled with ACL support (it works for
me - I will post a question about this in the next mail ;) ), winbindd,
cups,...

> * What's the Unix print subsystem you are using? (CUPS. LPRng,...)
I'm using CUPS, because I read that Samba uses native Cups calls to pause
/ resume / ... printer jobs.

> * What sort of Win OS client were yuu using when you tried to set the
>    default print settings?
I did all my experiments from WinXP sp1. It is a part of NT 4 style
domain. Domain controlers (for PDC, BDC, trusted domains,...) runs WinNT 4
Server OS.
I also joined Samba to the same domain without any problem.

> Gracefully handle multiple adition of printers
I will change my script (this isn't a problem ... I will just call grep
with printer name on /etc/printcap and if return status will be 0 than
the port already exists).

I didn't set up the delte printer script - I don't know if Windows delte
the printer and reinstall it when chenging properties ... hehe I hope that
not, however I will try ;)

The final two question are:
- Does changing of printer properties work in my version of Samba? If not
... does it work in SAMBA_3_0 branch?

- this question is colegated with Samba when running as PDC:
Is it enough to keep the original secrets.tdb when switching between
various version of Samba (I'm will use LDAP backend for user auth)?

Regards,
Dezo