[Samba] Re: [SECURITY] Samba 2.2.8a security available for download

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon Apr 7 19:28:32 GMT 2003

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> This release provides an important security fix outlined in the
> release notes that follow. This is the latest stable release of
> Samba and the version that all production Samba servers should be
> running for all current bug-fixes.
>
> The source code can be downloaded from :
>
>     http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/
>
> in the file samba-2.2.8a.tar.gz or samba-2.2.8a.tar.bz2.
> Both archives have been signed using the Samba Distribution Key
> (available in the samba directory on the web server).
>
> Binary packages will be released shortly for major platforms and
> can be found at
>
>     http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/
>
> As always, all bugs are our responsibility.

While the Mandrake Security Team has already issued updates to 2.2.7a
for all supported releases, RPMS of 2.2.8a are being made available for
Mandrake, including RPMS built with LDAP support (which are currently
unsupported by Mandrake).

At present, RPMS for 9.0 and 8.0 are available at
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/9.0/samba/
and
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/8.0/samba/
respectively.

RPMS for 8.1, 8.2 and 9.0 are in progress and should be available within
12 hours, after which RPMS for all these releases will be updated on the
 samba FTP mirrors.

urpmi can be used to update the RPMs, please see the instructions on
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/, or once the RPMS are
avialable on the mirrors, the README.txt

(Of course, these packages are also unsupported by Mandrakesoft, and
have only seen minimal testing on my production machines.)

Regards,
Buchan
- --