[Samba] Samba 2.2 + CUPS driver download work for anyone?

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Mon Apr 7 09:49:44 GMT 2003

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> Brian Wiese bwiese at hms4emc.com wrote on Samba-Digest:

>> I have tried everything I could possibly think of to get printer
>> driver download working with Samba 2.2.3a-6 and CUPS 1.1.15-4
>> (latest Debian unstable packages).  I am wondering if anyone else
>> has go this to work at all (with newer versions of samba or cups?)

> Yes.
>
> But it may be a special problem of the Debian package(s). Due to
> Debian's policy of no upgrading any "stable" package (apart from
> patching security fixes into it), you are stuck with Samba-2.2.3a  --
> unless you compile yourself or find some unofficial debs.

Yes - Debian doesn occasionally cause problems with this, especially
when a packaged version of the software contains functionality that
doensn't work 100%. They're very quick about backporting security fixes,
but functionality fixes don't happen.

I have driver download working happily on Debian Woody with Samba and
LPRng, but I gots debs from http://people.debian.org/~peloy/samba/,
where you can find packaged versions of Samba 2.2.8. I'd strongly
suggest you upgrade if you want a stress free life....

Mike.