[Samba] Maximum number of shares

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Apr 4 16:11:34 GMT 2003

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Thierry CONTER wrote:

> I am looking forward to create more than 1000 shares on a SAMBA server.
> Is it possible?

Yes.

> Are there any known limitations doing so? (number of concurrent access)

System resource limitations are your main enemy. Make sure that you have
sufficient memory (I'd recommend min 1MB per user - plus enough for your
system itself) and good disk I/O. Samba likes lots of CPU also. So more
CPUs is better.

If forced to a decision, 4 x 800MHz CPUS is better than 1 x 3GHz CPU.

> Thank you for your help.

Hope it helps.

- John T.
--