[Samba] Bug(?): "No locks available" message in log file

Heiko Nardmann h.nardmann at secunet.de
Fri Apr 4 15:23:36 GMT 2003

Hi!

I just set up a PDF printer via Samba 2.2.5 according to the article given in
the German magazine iX of March.

Now I have the problem that at the first time I done this a file appeared in
the resulting pdfshare (the file created by Word which I test with) but
afterwards I cannot get it running again (although I restarted smbd and
nmbd). No file is placed inside the pdfprinter share directory.

I already searched using google but was not successful since most articles
handle NFS and locks but NFS is not involved in my setup.

Some facts:

I installed a network printer with a "HP Color LaserJet PS" driver on my local
Windows NT machine as user "nardmann" with admin rights.

I tried to actualize my "pdfprinter" in Windows but only see that it tries to
get the status of the printer but gets an access denied ("Zugriff verweigert"
in German).

I have attached two states of the log (log level 10) file, one before pressing
F5 to actualize the status of the printer in the printer view of Windows and
the other afterwards.

Best is to start at the end of the file to see the error message first.

I'm really clueless ... :-(

Here is my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

#
# Samba Setup fuer SNSRV053
#
[global]
   security = domain
   password server = SNSRV055
   encrypt passwords = yes
   netbios name = SNSRV053
   netbios aliases = LINUX-SERVER
   kernel oplocks = false
   time server = yes
   lanman auth = yes
   server string = SNSRV053 (Samba %v)
   workgroup = SECUNET-SI
   wins server = SNSRV055
   wins support = no
   wins proxy = no
   local master = no
   preferred master = no
   os level = 20
   dns proxy = no
   invalid users = root
   comment = Linux SNSRV053 Samba Server
   keep alive = 60
   printer = lp
   guest account = nobody
   map to guest = Bad User
   printing = bsd
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_KEEPALIVE
IPTOS_LOWDELAY
   browse list = yes
   veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
   allow trusted domains = yes
   max log size = 50

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0750

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = no
   read only = yes
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700
   directory = /tmp

[pdfprinter]
   print command = /etc/samba/pdfscript "%s"
   path = /var/lib/samba/pdfprinter
   printable = yes
   comment = HP Color LaserJet PS

[pdfshare]
   path = /var/lib/samba/pdfprinter
   admin users = root
   force group = users
   read only = no
   force create mode = 0777
   force directory mode = 0777
   delete veto files = yes
   delete readonly = yes
   dos filetimes = yes
   nt acl support = no

- --
Heiko Nardmann (Dipl.-Ing.), h.nardmann at secunet.de, Software Development
secunet Security Networks AG - Sicherheit in Netzwerken (www.secunet.de),
Weidenauer Str. 223-225, D-57076 Siegen
Tel. : +49 271 48950-13, Fax  : +49 271 48950-50